Monday, June 18, 2012

And I thought KKK girl was bad

So do you remember a year or so ago when the girl who had ties to the KKK and other white supremacy groups wanted to be a surrogate?  Yeah sorry hun you can't be a member of a hate group and be a surrogate.  Well today we have a new one.  This girl could not stay away from drugs even long enough to go to her medical screening and yet really thinks the agency and her IPs should just ignore that pesky positive and let her carry on.  She seems pretty upset that her current plan for a paycheck is going up in smoke. 

1.  You cannot be a surrogate is you use drugs.  I would go so far as to say if you have EVER used drugs you can't be a surrogate but then I hate all drugs and alcohol and cigarettes for that matter so I may be a bit strict on that.  But you sure can't have used recently. 

2.  Surrogacy is no guarantee of money.  I don't know how many times I have said this and yet people always come back to the money.  Let me give an example.  I have been matched with my current IFs for 16 months.  I have given myself approximately 320 shots in that 16 months, some subcutaneous, some intramuscularly.  I have traveled to the east coast four times, missing work and using my vacation each time.  I have made...wait for it...$0.  Because you see, until there's proof there's a baby (and the only proof is an ultrasound) then you don't get any money.  It's the way it should be.  I like it that way.  But if you are in surrogacy for the money, you will learn very very quickly that that is not a good reason to be in surrogacy. 

3.  The best surrogates are those that have a life outside of surrogacy.  If you are existing only for surrogacy, then when the ups and downs come along (and trust me...every surrogacy has ups and downs) you will be less able to deal with them.  That's not to say that surrogacy should not be your main focus at  certain times, you should just make sure you don't lose the "you" while making a family for others. 

That's all I have.  Surrogacy is pretty simple actually.  If you want to help someone, and you have a good heart, and you can handle disappointment, and you don't need the money, and you aren't crazy or an addict or a member of the KKK, you will be a great surrogate.  Simple huh? 


1 comment: