Saturday, December 1, 2012

Ramblings from the 3rd trimester

Wow...we are in the home stretch of this pregnancy and it is just flying.  I finally have another OB appt next week.  I won't confess how long it's been since I've seen the OB but suffice it to say it's been awhile.  I kept hoping my OB would come back from maternity leave and I wouldn't have to see her parter but no such luck.  Let's hope he is nice.  Even if he isn't, the appointments last all of 2 minutes. 

The pregnancy is going well.  I have gained too much weight but oh well.  It will all come off after and since this is the last time I will be pregnant I will have forever to lose the weight and get back in shape. 

On a somewhat pregnancy related note, we had open enrollment for benefits at work yesterday.  For several years now we have gone with a health insurance plan that has an 8,000 dollar deductible.  It still cost me an arm and a leg in premiums but was more affordable than the other option with a 1500 dollar deductible.  With the impending birth, I switched to the 1,500 dollar deductible so that our out of pocket costs for the birth will be lower.  The end result is I will save the guys 5,600 dollars in out of pocket medical expenses while costing myself 2,400 dollars in additional premiums, so a win for them and a loss for me but every time I would hover my mouse over the 8,000 dollar deductible plan, I just couldn't make myself do that to them.  That is a lot of extra money and while I get that one of them is a doctor and the other is an engineer, I simply didn't have it in me to cost them extra just to save myself some money.  I think it was the right decision. 

Plans for the future are being set in place daily.  I always have to have a plan after a surrogacy...something to take up my time and combat the "what now?" feelings that swamp me after the birth.  This time is my final surrogacy so my "what now?" plan is pretty ambitious.  I'm excited and nervous but committed (I think?).  It involves an enormous leap of faith and changing something that has been a part of my life for almost six years.  I'm terrified but it's honestly the first choice I have made for myself in a LONG time.  As time gets closer and details are fleshed out I will reveal more but for now I will simply say I am excited about my future endeavors. 

Kids are doing well.  Boy #2 has started basketball.  He does not get much playing time with the varsity but he has played in both games so far and actually scored in the first game.  Next week starts the JV season so at least he will get to play more since he's a JV starter.  He's had a tough road as the only freshman on varsity...lots of hazing and such but he's hanging in there.  The coaching style is much different also and he's getting yelled at A LOT but as I said, he's hanging in there.  We are also getting many phone calls trying to get him to play football.  I have a serious issue with any sport where someone is trying to break my child but I told him we could talk about it.  Grrrr. 

Boy #3 is bowling again right now.  He hates bowling so I'm not sure what's going on with that.  Maybe he likes to bowl now, maybe he just likes having something to do, maybe there is a girl involved?  If he's happy I'm happy. 

And that's about it.  I'm in this weird limbo state, committed to all my current activities but waiting for this major change in February.  I am so ready for a change.  I counted it up and between my lab job and my typing, I worked 83 hours in the last 7 days.  And went to two out of town basketball games.  All while 7 months pregnant.  Yikes. 

Better get up and get busy.  Lab today to train other staff and then lots of typing.  Less than 80 days until the arrival of the Canadian.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow, you sure are busy! I love reading your blog, you seem so laid back :) Hope everything continues to go smoothly on your final journey!

    ReplyDelete